Páginas

Monday, July 26, 2004

Stillborn

The text was a stillbirth. I was talking about nice things, but I lost everything. This is what might be called virtual legitimately terrorism: Al Qaeda does not need hacking, he simply needs to learn from the staff of the UOL to do real shit. Ah!, this trashy vagabund site...
Digital void: second try...
Here we go:
I said that the Internet has suffered from a lack of creativity from its users, because I've been doing some research with Google and was attended with a dozen pages about "Charles Spurgeon", I did not know who he is or was. I had read a sentence in the first chapter of his book "The University of Success" by Og Mandino, but I did not know who was Spurgeon.

The research showed me that he was a famous British preacher who lived in the nineteenth century. The problem is that there were dozens of pages with the same text. Just one copy of each other.

Someone once said that after Microsoft Windows, nothing is created, everything is copy and paste. I think that's true, and even more on the Internet.

I tried also something about James P. Carse, and I was surprised at how many phrases that people use, often out of context, or even in a context totally wrong. I thought it was a brazilian vicious, because brazilian people are lazy, but the pages in English are also repeated to infinity.

This business, use phrases from famous authors, is relatively dangerous. I think the Internet could be better exploited, and that people should think about and discuss the canned ideas with many authors present us. I say this because if we take any two books, I'm sure you'll find them absolutely contradictory guidelines. Even in the text of only one book, of only one author, there are terrible contradictions. Follow any orientation without doing a little meditation on its meaning can be dangerous. The greatest danger is that we do not perceive the contradiction at first glance, and even after much rereading. The contradiction is subtle, therefore dangerous.

Where are the critical readers of the globalized world? Nobody ever contests Og Mandino. Where can I find a text about a Mandino lucid text written by someone who read it, thought about it and realized that what was written was not quite the right thing to do? Okay, viewpoints are viewpoints, but it is very important to have different viewpoints and not just simple phrases and simple sentences extracted from books by authors who maybe we do not know who they are. Just a curiosity, I found that Mandino was an alcoholic, became a millionaire and died in 1996, and that César Romão, Brazilian writer, is almost a disciple of his. I never read Romão, but nevertheless I was not tempted to read him.
But whereas we're talking about reading, and to criticize, I suggest you to read Irving M. Copi and his delightful and instructive (and thick) book "Introduction to Logic". I guarantee that after reading it, you will have a new vision of what you've been reading around, and also guarantee you will have a new idea of ​​Sherlock Holmes. You do not swallow more phrases without first giving a thought about it. If you want to read Copi, be brave and try to solve the exercises he proposed . Your mind will blow (and will be sharp!)...
Meanwhile, I keep doing my research in this digital void, wich Internet gives us. Okay, it could be worse.
This text, my friend, was different in words, but have the same content. The former text was better written, more beautiful and poetic, but time ran out and I lost it. If this second text was not so good, you thank UOL webmaster, a genius who created the time limit that force us write running...
Ah!, how much desire to see this portal in Mexican hands, a man that will do a good job, or a Spanish businessman. UOL has passed: it grown, matured, but did not work. Like a fruit, I think it will die rotting in the dead branch in which clings to stay... a pity...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment