Páginas

Friday, July 23, 2004

Orkut and conceptual horizons

At last, I got, through a trickmake the top of the screen where you type text for our blog appear ... it was missing, and I can imagine that is only one more bug from UOL programmers, always failing. But okay, here I am ...
I've just been invited to join Orkut, Google's friends group. I made my profile there and wanna see what happens. Nothing much, just the reputation of being something quite ripe for web standards. I invited my brother and see if we join the gang of our childhood and adolescence only in one place. I feel it hard, but we will try. I still think there is nothing more practical and efficient than traditional e-mail, but even so, I'll try the Orkut. Fernandão, from Fernandão Homepage, which sends me jokes every day via email, who invited me. He is a nice guy. Thanks, Fernandão!

And also I keep entertained with Money. Finance is not easy and this work will consume many hours of my sweat.
I've been taking a look at a possible upgrade of my computer which I write. I have a lowly, but faithful, Pentium 266 (believe!!) that works truly. It no owes nothing to any more modern machine, except for games that are heavy to run, and the damn XP, but this I do not use. Indeed, neither games I play, then it do not make any difference to me. My old Pentium has about eight, ten years of use, but it don't lets me in bad situation, except in some extreme moments. But I have to think about upgrading my technological apparatus, because now it's cheap. Let's see, maybe I buy something out there.

I finally read "Finite and infinite games" by James P. Carse, and found it was a self-help book, but it is not. It is philosophy, and very hermetic. This book have his twin brother, or anti-brother, "Respect your limits," by Ricardo Peters. These books are about a philosophy impregnated with religion. They are writers, theologians, philosophers or theologians, or something. But it is not easy reading, and Carse style is repetitive and unclear. It leads to anything, except the concept of horizon. In fact, what the limits of a horizon? He is versatile and changes according to our point of view. In this case, the visual horizon is used as a metaphor for what should be our intellectual or philosophical horizon: open, changeable, without limits. Therefore, Peter's book, which obliges us to respect our limits, is a kind of counterpart of Carse's book. But I can not further comment on the subject, because I need to read some contemporary philosophers, which I did not do yet. there is a hermeticism in twentieth-century philosophy that reeks of Hegel, which I detest, which was detested by the sage Schopenhauer, and that even at the time they both lived in the same country. Heidegger, Witgeinstein, Sartre, these guys seem to still somewhat confused in their philosophies. Sartre's not much, but Heidegger, yes. Maybe a few more books later and I can better understand this "Finite and infinite games". For now, the lesson that remained is conceptual horizon. But it's something.
I bought a Natalie Cole's cd, Unforgettable, and it is not a big thing, except for two or three songs. Unforgettable is the best, no doubt more by Nat King Cole to Natalie. She has a voice no strong enough, but it's cute, and everything is ok.

Why do I feel a shiver when I hear the Wagner's overture "The Master Singers"? Why classical music is so good, so much better than everything else? I think the only thing that compares in impact to a drum in an orchestra are guitars from Metallica and Slayer and Sepultura. Any other music owes a lot of power and strength. Jazz is a luxury, but it's only it.
I go to sleep. It's cold, and this is rare in Goiania, Brazil. I have to enjoy and drink a lot of chamomile tea and others flavours I bought last year, hoping the cold that never came. Extremes aside, my teas are not so old, but they are not eternal. They need to be drunk while they may have the ability to produce some flavor, else certainly I will have only a cup of hot water that tastes like dry grass. Not bad, but it is not enough.

As Carse, or, saying good-bye in Carse' style : I will not sleep, I will wake up to my dreams ...


No comments:

Post a Comment