Páginas

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The deterioration of the things

As I said, I have thousands of emails archived. The oldest of them was a return message, 1999, sent by ListBot after I joined a newsletter about conspiracies.

Today, the ListBot no longer exists, the site with the newsletter is not updated for almost a decade and his owner is now involved in a project altogether.

It also has a lot of emails from the same time it when I applied on the Stock Exchange, via homebroker in ancient Nettrade' site. I tried to follow the old links of e-mails, but there are no more Nettrade or Patagon.com or anything. You can search the emergence of Nettrade and Patagon in Google, via trade magazines of that years, such as Você S/A and others, but that's it. The site is just an empty page.

All projects of that era have disappeared.

Also ListBot was bought by Microsoft, and online brokerage that time today must belong to a large bank.

This is proof that there is a kind of deterioration, corrosion that is slowly destroying sites and projects in the virtual world the same way we see the physical things around us deteriorate.
Yesterday I spent a few minutes very unpleasant repairing the water outlet of the washing tank in loundry room at home, which was leaking and was dead for months, waiting for my final action.

I had bought new plastic connectors, but the thing, the building, the place where the tank is installed, too close to the wall, it was so poorly done that I could not use the slots the way they should be used. I had to saw, cut, open, in short, I had to do a juggling such that at the end the pipe is fitted, but still the same damn leak that led me to take the old tubing, leaving everything exactly as it was in the beginning.

Yeah, things rot and stink. Stir with drains is not a cool thing.

But we can not let things crumble around us. Even sites, blogs, emails and folders with old documents.

In fact, I spent two hours separating documents that come together over many years. It was a simple separation, which still need another two or three steps to be perfect, but it was a good job.

I also put the scanner on new PC. Now, I can scan things and play out the papers. It is also a good start.
Finally, I scoured the IG site looking for an e-mail account I forgot I had there. I checked it and I had even this account, with 36 e-mails accumulated since mid-2007. I do not even remember it. I used it once to try to create my first blog, but failed. About this blog, no sign. I have no idea what I've been writing in my single post.

To close the day, I found a site that I really needed to know: Alexa.

But let the Alexa later. The fact is that things deteriorate, no matter if these are material or virtual things.

We must keep them. Or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment