Páginas

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

What are diskettes?


I said one of these previous posts I had multiple computers over these past seventeen years. So, there are much tings stored in the form of bits.

because I am curious, I remembered that I still have boxes with old diskettes of 1.44 mega, those old squares. Incidentally, my computer still has a drive that reads it. Something unnecessary and outdated, certainly, when a single and cheap flash drive with 2 gigabytes can store data equivalent to about 1,400 little bums diskettes.

But I still have them: 43 of them.



One part is in two plastic boxes, each seven disks. I read all obviously doing a virus scan, because these old things are not necessarily safe. In all, I read 14 floppy disks, but they were all empty. Mere relics of a time gone by.

What to do with them?

Throw in the trash? Use in an emergency? I do not know.

Maybe I shoot some pictures of them and then put it in the trash.

Some have labels with file names. What do they remind me?

That's all that's left to do: remember how we use it, as objects of remembrance.

Farewell, floppies.

No comments:

Post a Comment