Páginas

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Fat, mysterious and cannibal brain


After studying a little about the human brain, it seems he is very, very mysterious. Then, suddenly, he surprises us with this news of a study done by researchers at the Department of Medicine at Yeshiva University in New York, published in the journal "Cell Metabolism", that he can eat himself if we were to lose weight. This is surprising, though disappointing.

Surprising, because I never imagined that a body could consume themselves to save the organism as a whole. All right, we burn fat, muscles and everything else in case of need, but eating the brain itself? This is very bizarre.



Then it makes sense he sacrifice himself, if the goal is to save the whole. There are even cases of people with brains nearly absent. It is also bizarre that we can survive with a minimum amount of neurons, which cut off chickens, or acephalous cockroachs, or like humans with tiny brains as lizards.

On the other hand, it no makes sense to accumulate resources to the point of staying obese, with clogged veins and die of heart attacks. What is the logic to accumulate so much?

But the most interesting is the consciousness. Whence come, how acquires identity and personality?

Speaking more personally, because I am who I am and not someone else? Best: Why I am a person and not a cow or a fish?



Speaking further, why be who I am today and not yesterday or tomorrow? How to unravel the mystery of consciousness?

I tried "The Mystery of Consciousness" by Antonio Damasio, but the entropy does not leave. I have to back up and fix squeaks and make financial transfers and payments. Keep running modern life has a tremendous cost in time.

I need to read Damasio. I need!

No comments:

Post a Comment