Páginas

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

The lack and the excess of information

I have tried to focus on a productive activity, but I always have with me a slight feeling that no matter what I do, I'm in the wrong direction and wasting my time. I mean, not that I do not see a value in what I do, but looking at things from an existentialist perspective, everything is meaningless. No matter what I do, so I find myself doing some hard questions: Why am I doing this? Where will this lead? What's the point? What do I gain? And if it is an illusion?
Indeed, my problem is everyone's problem, although not everyone knows this problem: the death. Not that I'm afraid to die. I do not want exactly the opposite: to waste my life on something not worth it, but I just go find that it not worth when on my deathbed. This feeling of not knowing what is really worth in life has haunted me for years.
In "Epitáfio", the song of the Titãs, one brazilian rock'n'roll band, have a clear example of the embedded message behind this idea of urgency and alert. The lyrics are like the poem "Moments", apparently Nadine Stair. We should do certain things and not others, or rather, we should do more things and less others. But what guarantee do we in the end? No one. It's a beautiful letter, but don't serves as a foundation for leading a life.

Incidentally, this is the subject of this message: lack and excess of information. We lack information to guide us, and this precisely because we have an oversupply of information. We have the self-help books, and we have religions, and philosophy, and psychology, and we have gurus, and we still have a million other sources of information bombarding us with compelling messages. Do this and be happy, do it and be rich. Leave to do A to do B. Forget C. How to separate the wheat from the chaff? And who ensures that there is wheat in the midst of so much chaff?
We could afford to test these requirements. Practice is the best proof. But life is too short for testing. And at the end of a test that can take a lifetime, we find that the trick does not work? Too late, you missed ...

Doubt has immobilize me. I have to start something, but I arrest myself in a logical vicious circle wich not allow me to leave it. How to get out of a wheel of rats? Where to start a circle? I'm stuck with my own intellectual limitations. I'm not smart or wise enough to find a way out. Meanwhile, time passes ...
Decipher me or I will devour you!

No comments:

Post a Comment